- Feb 23, 2010
- 0 comments
The 100% Reusable Cloth Diapers campaign has gotten off to a great start. In this first leg of the campaign, RDA members and other cloth diapering experts have been contributing their best advice to help other parents succeed with using cloth diapers at night.
We've received more than 50 responses. And what are the experts saying?
- More than half of the respondents recommend adding extra inserts or doublers to increase absorbency for those (hopefully) long nights.
- More than half of our respondents were using fitteds, prefolds, or flats with covers - mostly wool covers, though occasionally fleece covers (or pajama bottoms). Those who praised wool covers cited the breathability of wool in particular as being useful for keeping a baby's bottom healthy overnight.
- Many experts are using pocket diapers since they are easily stuffable to add absorbency, and have a built-in stay-dry layer next to the baby's bottom.
- Hemp diapers and inserts get a lot of recommendations for their extreme absorbency. (Bamboo got a number votes for this characteristic as well.)
- Some other common tips include paying close attention to a good fit, particularly around the legs, and adding fleece liners on top of fitteds or prefolds so babies feel comfortably dry at night.
I really liked the bits of encouragement that some participants included, so I will include them here for your enjoyment:
"Keep at it. There is a solution out there for everyone." - Danielle "Don't give up! I struggled off and on to keep my sheets dry while co-sleeping with my CD'ed [cloth-diapered] son... The nice thing about cloth diapers is that there are tons of used ones out there, so you can find what works and not spend a fortune. Then you can turn around and sell your stash to another CD'ing [cloth diapering] family!" - Wendy
And my personal favorite quote (and this was NOT a paid advertisement):
"And it's always a good idea to get connected in your local Real Diaper Circle - it's awesome to have support and lots of great advice." - Jamie
A BIG THANK YOU to all who have participated so far! We will soon be compiling the advice to provide to parents and caregivers who need support, and the quality of our materials depends on your help!
Do you have ideas? If you haven't done so already, post your tips for using cloth diapers at night here.
(Edit: Submission form now closed.)